AQUAEXCEL will provide the European aquaculture research community with a platform of top class research infrastructures, integrating on a European scale key aquaculture research infrastructures. The platform will encompass a wide range of production systems including recirculation, flow-through, hatchery, cage, and pond systems. Fish research will be spread across several species including sea bass, sea bream, salmon, cod, trout and common carp. Freshwater, marine, cold, and warm water environments will be representated, as will small, medium and industrial scale settings.
- Link and coordinate key research infrastructures in Europe: cage, recirculation and hatchery aquaculture systems, land and sea based, fresh and salt water installations in order to create the basis for synergistic research projects.
- Provide research teams with access to a wide range of the state-of-the-art infrastructures covering all important aquaculture species, systems, environments and expertises.
- Increase resource sharing and standardization between partners, notably but not exclusively for fish models and experimental methods developed in-house.
- Stimulate innovation through transfer of knowledge, harmonisation and development of best practices across fields of research, production systems and species.
- Execute joint research and development activities designed to improve the services currently provided by the infrastructures (remote access and monitoring, more accurate performance evaluation, limitation of live animals use, applicability of results at industry scale, development of biological models).
- Bridge the gap between the scientific community and the industry through stimulation of problem-based research and enhanced knowledge transfer.